3-Year-old dies after choking on toy from kinder surprise egg babycenter blog gas water heater reviews 2012

####

According to The Telegraph, the 3-year-old girl was with her mother when she put the small toy with wheels in her mouth. The toy became lodged in her airway and she couldn’t breathe. Although firefighters were able to resuscitate the toddler, she ultimately died from brain damage caused by lack of oxygen.

Kinder Surprise eggs are made by Ferrero and contain warnings to parents about the dangers of small toys to children ages 3 and younger. These eggs are technically banned in the U.S. because the concealed toys pose a choking hazard. (But if you’re looking for a legal alternative, apparently Choco Treasure eggs get the green light in the U.S.?)

My 2-year-old daughter is definitely hooked to surprise egg videos on YouTube Kids. One minute, I’ll have her sitting on the potty watching Peppa Pig on my phone. The next? More egg videos! I toyed with the idea of getting her a couple of surprise eggs for her birthday since she loves them so much, but a few quick searches proved they’re pretty pricey online.

These choking deaths always get to me because they could happen to anyone. Even without the presence of tiny toys in your home and with attentive parenting, small children are quick and smart. They gravitate toward things like batteries, buttons, coins and more the instant mom and dad are preoccupied by something else.

I’m sorry that this child died, I really am. But I’m not going to put the blame on the toy. It’s on the parents, it always is. When you give your kids something small they could choke on, they might actually choke on it. My kid LOVES those little Tsum Tsum blind bags (they’re new, you can get them at Target) and the Tsum’s are the exact right size to choke on. Yesterday I saw him “pretending” to eat his Winnie the Pooh one and I told him if I ever saw him do it again I’d throw every last one in the trash. So far, so good. But if something happens I know it’s 100% on me.

There are a lot of little things around the house that look appetizing to little kids. Even ones old enough to know better. Why my 3 year old decided to ignore his mountain of play food and mix a Tsum Tsum up in his kitchen is beyond me, but it’s what kids do. Kinder eggs are not dangerous, nor are the prizes inside. The danger is in not supervising your kids when you happen to know they have tiny objects in their possession.

Ok. So, you let your child have access to an array of choking hazards because “the reality is only a very very small percentage choke”?? And you think that “the vast majority of 3 year olds in the world” have this same sort of access to small choking size objects as if they’re just laying around the house in reach a plentiful like some kind of small object free-for-all?? I think you are dead wrong. Maybe if the parents don’t keep their place clean or organized at all or just don’t care about their kids or pets or are some kind of tiny objects collector who leaves their collection laying around the house within a 4 foot range of the floor or any furniture instead of nice and neatly displayed in some kind of elegant enclosed glass cabinet or decently high up shelf.. I mean, people don’t just have small objects laying around their home, let alone if they have small children. I know my house doesn’t have small objects laying around. And that’s just the norm from before I even had a kid. Same with my parents who have no kids in their home and my brother and sister-in-law who have 3 kids and my grandma who has tons of toys laying around in the dining room from my 7-year-old and 2-year-old nieces. None of them have small objects laying around. I don’t know why or what type of small objects you have laying around that your 3-year-old has access to but that’s just not right!! And as far as keeping a sharp eye on them.. the mother was RIGHT there! Kids are too quick and too sneaky! Why can’t this egg company just make their toys bigger?! Simple as that. There’s absolutely NO reason that kids need to play with toys that they can choke on. None whatsoever! They can and will have just as much fun if not more with bigger toys that can’t fit in their mouth.

So no one in your extended family has ever found a coin on the floor that fell out of someone’s pocket unnoticed for goodness knows how long? A button has never flown off an article of clothing? Older children’s Lego bricks and Barbie accessories have always remained perfectly contained to a height no less than 4 feet off the floor? No marker caps? Board game pieces never go missing? No baby carrots? No grapes consumed in your family unless they’re been meticulously halved? No paper clips? Your yards are free of rocks and broken sticks? No lost earrings? No hardware has ever worked itself loose and fallen unnoticed to the floor?

The eggs are marked not safe for children 0 to 3. The entire world does not need to be baby proofed. If you have a 3 year old and you choose to buy them a toy that is not designed for them and they choke, the death is absolutely horribly horribly sad, but it’s not the responsibility of the manufacturers of the world to not sell any objects not suitable for toddlers. It’s up to the parents to be their children’s gatekeepers.