Buell forum oil puking out of transmission vent electricity prices by country

#

It’s common for the oil to seep down into the engine if the bikes sit for a long time(which often results in people dumping more oil into the tank and causing an over flow when the bike is started), but as far as it coming out of the transmission vent, there isn’t really any way for oil to get from the crank to the primary aside from that oil seal.

I picked one of those up and planned to replace it since I currently have my primary pulled apart. Mine isn’t leaking and I’m hesitant to touch it only to have it start leaking after I put it back together, as a "don’t fix what isn’t broken" thing, but those seals seem to cause people so many problems I should really just go for it.

Looks like from the other thread you’re already debating it. The other possible thing to consider, is possibly the crank seal isn’t going bad, but while your bike was in storage your fuel leaked through the carb, down into the cylinder, thinned out your oil enough that it started seeping through into the primary. Did you sniff the leaking oil to see if it smells like gas at all? Was your gas tank any lower than when you parked it? Was the petcock turned off?

If that’s the case you can usually get away with draining your oil, refilling it with new oil to flush it, draining that, and finally putting in some good oil. The seal doesn’t usually need changed, it just gets past because the gas thins out the oil enough to get through. If it’s not the gas, I’d assume it’s the leaking seal.

If you know you overfilled it last year though, I’d consider just getting the oil level down to where you know it should be, and try running it. It might behave once you get the oil level right. I don’t think I’d just to pulling the primary and oil seal as the first step. If you do though… make sure you have all the tools and supplies ready and you should be able to pull that apart and get it back together in one weekend. Mind has stretched out because I keep having to go to the store for one thing after another, and I also have a bad case of project creep that keeps me digging further and further in there.

Drill a hole on the seal very carefully not to damage ball bearing underneath it. Space between the seal bottom and bearing is less than 1/8 " at most. Thread in a self tapping screw with its tip trimmed off again not to damage bearing. Then grab the screw head with nail puller. The longer the better. You may need a wooden block under the pivot point to protect the primary sealing surface.

Here the point is that you need to take it out very slowly. Whacking will only strip the self-tapped hole. Be gentle and slow. If it would not budge, probably your nail puller is too short. Try a longer one or extend it with a piece of pipe.

There are seal pullers commercially available, get the one with the small hook and save yourself from the grief of bunging up the job with a screw or two and a pry bar. (It is horrifying to look at it and wonder if you’ve completely wrecked your bike).

Glad you got yours out easily. First I tried some needle nosed pliers, they were just pulling off little pieces of the metal ring. Then I tried bending a tip of a cheap screwdriver, but eventually it broke at the bend. I finally tried the method you used, but I couldn’t get the drill bit to hit the seat at a good angle. The chuck was hitting the end of the crank and forced the tip of the drill bit right near the edge of the metal where it meets the rubber, so every time I’d pull it would just yank it out sideways…. Probably needed a longer drill bit.

I eventually managed to get it with a normal screwdriver and pry it out a little at a time. Popping the new one in was the easy part as someone was kind enough to loan me their installation tool. Mine wasn’t leaking yet but I’m glad I got a fresh one in there while my motor is apart.

Definitely too expensive for one time use. You can find the file online with the details you need to have one made on a 3D printer, if that’s something you have access to(I don’t). I took detailed measurements of the one I used, figured I could make one and toss it in the tool box someday when I have a lathe I can use.

I think the bend screwdriver would’ve been effective if I hadn’t rushed doing mine. I was actually thinking I probably could’ve yanked it out easy with one of those bent tip paint can openers, but you know you can never find those when you need them. Post up your pictures when you find them.

Next project is going to be cleaning off that gasket so I can get it all back together. I couldn’t find gasket remover anywhere I looked, so I ordered one of the white 3M bristle discs. From what I could see online, they do a good quick job of cleaning gaskets off without damaging anything.