Cop24 this time, africa wants action on climate africa times electricity and magnetism study guide

########

That’s the message from Namibia, and from African climate activists and negotiators more broadly, as they head to Katowice, Poland, for the COP24 meeting. gas 6 weeks pregnant Formally known as the Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the annual international meeting on climate change begins Sunday and continues through December 14.

Africa Day at COP24 is on Monday and that’ll be with some changes. electricity online games Gabonese President Ali Bongo, who is currently the coordinator of Africa’s CAHOSCC – a committee of heads of state on climate change – is recovering from a serious illness in Morocco. electricity pick up lines Though listed as a speaker, he is not likely to attend. electricity bill cost per unit Colleagues including African Union (AU) Commission Chair Moussa Faki Mahamat and the head of the African Development Bank (AfDB), Akinwumi Adesina, are expected to speak.

“Many African countries are faced with developmental challenges such as limited access to market, lack of competitiveness, fragile economic development, high poverty levels, limited analytical and technical capacity and data availability,” explains the AfDB. “These challenges are exacerbated by the continent’s limited ability to manage climate change.”

The initial estimated financing for NDCs in Africa is USD$4 trillion by 2030, according to the AfDB, and all countries have unconditional targets for their own resources accounting for about 15 percent of what’s needed. z gas tecate telefono The other 85 percent is supposed to come from the international community, but progress is slow at a time when, day after day, key reports sound the alarm on urgency of tackling climate change.

That’s especially critical for Africans, who already experience the effects of droughts, heat waves, flooding, disease and other climate-connected consequences. wd gaster cosplay tutorial The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report released in October made clear what many climate experts already know and fear: Parts of Africa are already vulnerable to climate change, and all the more so at 2°C instead of 1.5 °C of warming.

Limiting greenhouse gas emissions and curbing planetary warming are global goals, but they’re all the more critical for Africans, especially in climate change hotspots that include southern and West Africa. That’s one reason why African leaders want to make sure that this time, beyond Paris and after the Africa-focused COP22 in Morocco and COP23 in Bonn, there’s real action on global climate agreements.

Among other priorities, the African leaders want support for African-led initiatives including the Africa Renewable Energy Initiative, which set a budget of more than $15 billion needed through 2020 and the completion of its first phase, and considerably more beyond that. They also want backing for the Africa Adaptation Initiative, which saw its first African contribution of $500,000 come from Gabon a year ago.

There is good news, to be sure. Through the global NDC Partnership, Rwanda last week launched its green investment program targeting specific sectors such as transportation and agriculture. electricity storage costs East African countries including Uganda, Kenya and Ethiopia are advancing their understanding of carbon markets. Mozambique just announced a new three-year plan to ensure it can deliver on its climate commitments.

In October, the global Green Climate Fund – already supporting renewable energy in Zambia – agreed to $110 million for projects in Burkina Faso, Democratic Republic of Congo and the nations of the Niger River Basin. They’re part of $6.2 billion in projects under way, with another $10.3 billion pledged so far, and 36 of its 93 projects in Africa. The GCF board launched its first formal replenishment in October, and AGN welcomed Germany’s decision this week to double GCF contributions to $1.7 billion (€1.5 billion).