Education in switzerland – expat guide to switzerland expatica hp gas online refill booking status


Even where pre-school is not compulsory, most children attend kindergarten before primary school. Daniel explains: “The aim is to stimulate the development and social skills of the children mainly through play-based learning – lots of music, crafts and games – and in the last year, the rudiments of reading, writing and mathematics.” He adds that “pre-schools are a great way for expat children to pick up a new language and start gas and electric credit union integrating with Swiss culture.” For more information, see the Expatica’s guide to childcare in Switzerland. Primary school ( Schule / école primaire / scuola primaria o elementare)

Children generally move onto lower secondary level at the age of 11/12 at a middle school called either a Gymnasium or Kantonsschule. Lower secondary education usually lasts for three years except in Italian-speaking Ticino, when it lasts for four years. How well the child has done at primary level determines which level the child is assigned in the lower secondary level.

Topics taught at lower secondary level are usually: the language of the school/region, a second national language (and an optional third) and English, mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, history, civic education, music, art and design (visual arts, textile design, technical design), physical education and health, home economics, career guidance and vocational preparation.

After nine years of compulsory education, adolescents continue to the upper secondary level, which is split into vocational and general education b games 2. Upper secondary education in Switzerland is optional although more than 90 percent of Swiss students do decide to continue their education around the age of 15/16. Upper secondary school is regulated jointly by the Confederation and the cantons so there are variations in organisation and curricula across the country.

These dual-track programmes combine classroom lessons at a VET school with an apprenticeship at a training company. There are VET programmes for around 230 different professions. VET programmes can lead to a Federal VET certificate, a Federal VET diploma or the Federal vocational baccalaureate ( Berufsmaturität /maturité professionelle) which allows admission to universities of applied science. Baccalaureate schools

About a third of Swiss students go onto baccalaureate school, which provide a general education in preparation for admission to university. Pupils usually enrol at baccalaureate schools in the last year of lower secondary education. Baccalaureate programmes usually last for four years but three years in some cantons and six years in others. “Admission may be based year 6 electricity on students’ grades, teachers’ recommendations and/or an entrance exam”, advises Daniel.

A baccalaureate programme consists of core subjects, a main specialism and a secondary specialism plus a baccalaureate essay. Core subjects are: first national language, second national language and a third language (a third national language, English, Latin or Greek), mathematics, biology, chemistry, physics, history, geography and visual arts/music. All students take an introductory course in economics and law, while philosophy is optional. The specialisms are chosen from lists of subjects determined by each canton. Students are graded at the end of term and/or year (six = best grade, four = sufficient, below four = insufficient); how well students do determines whether they progress to the next year or not.

Around 5 percent of students go onto upper secondary specialised schools. They provide a school-based general education and preparation for professional education and training (PET) in specific occupations – like healthcare, social work and education – at PET colleges and universities of applied sciences. There are upper secondary specialised schools in 22 cantons, both canton and privately run. Admission criteria varies but may include an entrance exam or interview.

Students study core subjects and additional subjects related to the specific occupation. They are graded at the end of term and/or year (six = best grade, four = sufficient 76 gas station jobs, below four = insufficient); satisfactory grades determine whether a student progresses to the next year or not. The three-year specialised school programme ends with a final exam (written and/or oral) in at least six subjects, at least one of which must be related to the specific occupation.

Students who take the additional one-year specialised baccalaureate course (not available in all cantons) usually have to complete traineeships or practical experience in their particular field as well as course work. Successful candidates are awarded the specialised baccalaureate ( Fachmaturität/maturité spécialisée) which allows admission to universities of applied science and pre-school and primary teacher courses at teacher training universities. Universities in Switzerland

“During enrolment at a school, your child’s ability in the local national language will be assessed,” says Daniel. “Some schools electricity electricity music notes offer induction courses or intensive language courses to help students reach the standard required for them to join regular classes, or will receive language lessons alongside normal classes.” He adds that sometimes, the school might recommend that a pupil repeat a year in order to catch up. Special needs schools in Switzerland

Children and young people with special educational needs in Switzerland have a right to schooling and support from specialists from birth up to their 20th birthday. Children gas density problems are assessed by specialist agencies within the canton and may attend a mainstream school with support, or a special needs school. Read Expatica’s guide to special needs schooling in Switzerland, or contact your canton’s education department. Home schooling in Switzerland

Home schooling is not common in Switzerland and the laws regarding it vary from canton to canton – in some cantons it’s allowed, in others it’s illegal. If your canton allows home schooling, you’ll have to register annually/notify the education department and work within their guidelines. For more information, contact your canton’s education department and the Home School Association of Switzerland. For more information