From boston to danvers a tribute to bowling columns electricity quizlet


I fondly remember my days with Dad. I just turned 5, and to Dad this was a pivotal moment in time. My mom and dad split-up when I was 3 years old. After Mom and I moved to Jamaica Plain, Dad spent every Sunday with me. My father was an avid boxer, golfer and baseball player. He decided the sport we both could enjoy was bowling. The following Sunday, he took me bowling for the first time, at a bowling alley in Boston on Huntington Avenue near Symphony Hall.

I started to hold the ball and kept dropping it. Dad told me, “Don’t worry.” While bringing me home, my dad came up with an idea. If I could hold a grapefruit with one hand, then I would be ready to bowl again. I thought it was funny, but not Mom. My mom’s quip was, “Oh! Lord! What kind of fruit would you have to hold if he was teaching you basketball?” To this day I still chuckle!

After a while, I could hold and roll the grapefruit quite well. Back to the bowling alley we went. I could finally hold the bowling ball and roll it. To my surprise, with Dad’s guidance, I did not roll it down the gutter. At age 6 my training began.

Dad and I bowled side-by-side. My dad was a high-120-average bowler. He would enter himself in many bowling tournaments. He had a nickname of Kenny the Cannonball. One day a father-and-son competition was posted. I guess the rules changed a little. The following Sunday he signed up the both of us. Being so proud, he said, “Who needs a son? My daughter is a real little stick of dynamite. You just wait and see!” We were signed up as the “Dynamite Duo."

It was at Boston Bowl (formerly Lucky Strike) in Dorchester by the Southeast expressway I got my first taste of fame. A scout was there one Sunday afternoon. A new candlepin bowling show was starting up for young bowlers, who competed for trophies and cash awards. The host of this show was Don Gillis. I was 11 years old and had just bowled 115. Dad and I were so excited when I was asked to be on the new show. The following weekend we went to the Channel 5 studio on Morrissey Boulevard. I was to be a substitute bowler for four weeks.

I learned so much watching all the young bowlers. I was discouraged one day not having my turn to bowl. All of a sudden, I heard my name called. Someone was out sick and now this was my big opportunity. I was so nervous when I went to bowl that I nearly dropped the ball. All of a sudden, I saw my dad talking with Bozo the Clown, whose popular children’s show was filmed next door. Each time I got up to bowl, Bozo and Dad were jumping around cheering for me. I laughed so much and was so relaxed. I did so good I started bowling spares and strikes! I came home with over $100 in bonus money. I bought my first bike with this cash award.

My next big bowling adventure happened when I was 16. Mom and I moved to East Boston and I was entering my first year of high school. They had a girls bowling team, and I tried out and got selected. The golden rule was "profanity belongs in the gutter" and “act like young ladies at all time." To this day, I still try to honor this tradition. Our team had a record year, and we were entered in the State High School Championship. All the teams could bring cheerleaders or mascots to attend this event. As I was about to bowl, to my surprise, there was Dad, dressed up as a clown holding a bike horn and pom-poms! We all laughed so hard as he danced around and sang out our team cheer! My father said, “It worked when you were younger! Why not now?"

In the 1970s, unknown to me, someone sent in a postcard and I got selected to appear on the Channel 7 bowling show “Candlepins for Cash,” hosted by sportscaster Bob Gamere. I was so nervous I only bowled seven pins total. I received a check for a grand total of $7. My dad’s response was, “Don’t worry. If you have a winning personality, you’ll always be a winner!" My dad always knew what to say to make me feel happy.

My dad’s health declined shortly thereafter. He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in the late 1990s and passed away in 2002. A lot of changes ensued in my personal life: a move to Rowley, my mom’s death, an injurty to my right arm that curtailed any bowling. And I am now a cancer survivor. This set me back from bowling another few years.

After another move, to Peabody, I found Sunnyside Bowladrome in Danvers. Nick Cameles, the present owner, always has a welcoming smile when you enter and is eager to make everyone’s bowling experience pleasant. I joined the North Shore Women’s Merchant League — 50 women from all walks of life ready to have fun. Barbara Crean has been the beloved president for almost 20 years, and she is ready and eager to solve any problems. The captain of my team is a confident morale booster, which enables our team to be self-assured bowlers. Even opposing teams encourage each other. My dad would have liked this league — kindhearted souls happily enjoying bowling together.

Without flair or flourish, my senior years will be splendid. My dad’s legacy is learning to appreciate simple pleasures. Boston to Danvers has been an exciting bowling journey. To share this experience has been a valuable life lesson. The stardust is the kindness sprinkled along the road. How can anyone ask for more?