Fsh trolling motor mount (and shallow water anchor) advice needed jet boaters community forum gas pains 6 weeks pregnant

###

I went with the Minn Kota Riptide ST w/ iPilot (60" shaft and 80lbs of thrust). I looked at the Ulterra but just couldn’t justify the $500 to auto deploy (really the only difference and just more to go wrong). Even though I spend most of the time in fresh water I went with the salt version for more versatility. Same reason I went with the 60" shaft. In fresh water, the 54" would probably be fine, but if you are bouncing around in some chop the 60" will make sure she stays below the water line. This is a 24v system so the batteries are massive. Best option out there were the Duracell 31DTMAGM at Sams Club. I also put in a Minn Kota MK330D charger which does my two trolling batteries as well as my starting battery (I can manually move it over to condition my house battery during the winter).

Regarding mounting the motor. This is the hardest part. After doing a ton of research (which there isn’t very much for the 190FSH yet), I decided to build a custom mount for a couple of reasons. First, i just couldn’t get the motor close enough to the center line and still get a good bite using the Minn Kota brackets. These motors are heavy and I didn’t want it ripping a hole in my hull when we hit some chop. Second, I still wanted to be able to use my anchor locker. The hardest part was laying it all out and building the template. Once I had that, just took it to a local machine shop and had it build out of aluminum. This allowed me to use the Minn Kota quick mount system (mounted puck to bracket). I would fish in the morning then pop off the motor in the afternoon when we were tubing.

After my first full week on the water, I only noticed a few things i would do different. I put one battery under each jump seat. When you add up the staring, house, trolling, and charger on one side, she sits a little heavy on the port side. Not horrbile, but would have put the charger on the starboard side. The only place that made sense backed up to the live well so didnt want to drill into that. Will probably move it this winter. For the same reason, I probably would have mounted the motor on the starboard side. Again, just for weight distribution. Second, with the motor on the mount you cant use the navigation lights (they sit to low). To fix, I plan to install an aftermarket post that will raise it up over the motor.

Short of that, the motor is fricking awesome. Loved the anchor feature. Just hit the button and it stays in the spot (takes a minute or so to figure out wind and current). I also loved the "record" feature. We found a line of grass we wanted to fish. We just hit record, steered using the remote, and hit stop when we got to the end (about a 1/4 mile). Then all week we could go back to that spot and fish it either way (start or end) by hitting play. Even allowed me to fish by myself off the swim platform (when the kids didnt want to get up early).

I went with the Minn Kota Riptide ST w/ iPilot (60" shaft and 80lbs of thrust). I looked at the Ulterra but just couldn’t justify the $500 to auto deploy (really the only difference and just more to go wrong). Even though I spend most of the time in fresh water I went with the salt version for more versatility. Same reason I went with the 60" shaft. In fresh water, the 54" would probably be fine, but if you are bouncing around in some chop the 60" will make sure she stays below the water line. This is a 24v system so the batteries are massive. Best option out there were the Duracell 31DTMAGM at Sams Club. I also put in a Minn Kota MK330D charger which does my two trolling batteries as well as my starting battery (I can manually move it over to condition my house battery during the winter).

Regarding mounting the motor. This is the hardest part. After doing a ton of research (which there isn’t very much for the 190FSH yet), I decided to build a custom mount for a couple of reasons. First, i just couldn’t get the motor close enough to the center line and still get a good bite using the Minn Kota brackets. These motors are heavy and I didn’t want it ripping a hole in my hull when we hit some chop. Second, I still wanted to be able to use my anchor locker. The hardest part was laying it all out and building the template. Once I had that, just took it to a local machine shop and had it build out of aluminum. This allowed me to use the Minn Kota quick mount system (mounted puck to bracket). I would fish in the morning then pop off the motor in the afternoon when we were tubing.

After my first full week on the water, I only noticed a few things i would do different. I put one battery under each jump seat. When you add up the staring, house, trolling, and charger on one side, she sits a little heavy on the port side. Not horrbile, but would have put the charger on the starboard side. The only place that made sense backed up to the live well so didnt want to drill into that. Will probably move it this winter. For the same reason, I probably would have mounted the motor on the starboard side. Again, just for weight distribution. Second, with the motor on the mount you cant use the navigation lights (they sit to low). To fix, I plan to install an aftermarket post that will raise it up over the motor.

Short of that, the motor is fricking awesome. Loved the anchor feature. Just hit the button and it stays in the spot (takes a minute or so to figure out wind and current). I also loved the "record" feature. We found a line of grass we wanted to fish. We just hit record, steered using the remote, and hit stop when we got to the end (about a 1/4 mile). Then all week we could go back to that spot and fish it either way (start or end) by hitting play. Even allowed me to fish by myself off the swim platform (when the kids didnt want to get up early).