Jody fuller it’s a miracle baby! lifestyles gas 10 ethanol

A few hours later, I showed up at the AU Club to play a round of bad golf at the Auburn Chamber Golf Classic. I played with the OA News team. We didn’t break any records, or windows for that matter, but we did have a fun time. I’d planned on writing my article when I got home, but that didn’t happen.

Lucy texted me just as I finished up. The timing was perfect. It’d been a rough 32 weeks of pregnancy. She’s been sick for the majority of it, and now, the exhaustion was kicking in the door. She texted because the cable man was coming early. Due to financial constraints, we haven’t had cable in two years, but since she was now in her third trimester and so was exhausted, I felt it was time. She needed the rest. With all this happening, I just wasn’t able to get the article written.

I was tired, too. I went to bed that night without getting a shower. My stinky golf clothes were on the floor. I think I slept for 45 minutes when it started. It was a little past 1 a.m. on Friday the 13th. My life was about to change forever.

“I don’t want to scare you or anything, but she just kicked really hard. I mean really hard,” she said. “I think I’m having contractions, too. I’m going to call the hospital.” And, she did. They advised her to come in just to see what was going on. On top of that, she drove. She’s not a fan of my driving. She started having contractions during the drive. She would go from 80 MPH to 20 in a matter of seconds. I was scared to death and still wearing my dirty golf clothes.

They planned on sending her to UAB via ambulance, but that didn’t work out, so they were going to send her via helicopter. That plan went awry, as well, due to fog. They finally went back to the original plan and put her on an ambulance around 6:30 a.m. or so. I chose to follow behind in our car, but Wes, my friend, EMT, and ambulance driver, told me not to try to keep up. So I took my time and stopped to get gas. I was also a nervous wreck. Jana the nurse rode in the back with Lucy. I gave her Lucy’s phone.

They had made it just a few miles past Russell Medical Center in Alex City when it happened. Thanks to a brave mom and a fabulous nurse, she actually gave birth in the back of the ambulance—talk about a “280 Boogie.” Wes safely turned the ambulance around and got mom and baby back to Russell, while Jana and Kurt, the other EMT, took care of them in the rear.

I was literally in front of Russell when she called. By now, she was already in a room, and the doctor and nurses were working on the baby. I ran in and went left, but that was the wrong way. Then I went right. That was the wrong way, too. I was then told to go to the third floor, and that’s when I saw my baby, Abigail Jennings Fuller, for the first time. She was about 20 minutes old. She was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever laid my eyes on.

I finally made it to Lucy, who was being seen by another doctor. She was so brave, strong and courageous throughout the whole ordeal. I could not have been prouder of her. Both our moms live in Tallapoosa County and were able to make it there quickly to see Lucy and the baby. That was no doubt a God thing. Unfortunately, Lucy had to stay at Russell overnight, while the miracle child and I went on to the NICU at UAB. At some point during the night, I finally got out of those stinky golf clothes and took a shower.

I’m already way over my word limit, but let me just say that Abigail Jennings is the most precious child I’ve ever laid my eyes on, and she is doing so incredibly well. I’m not just saying that as an optimistic father. God has truly laid his hand on this miracle child, but we will gladly accept your thoughts and prayers. Friday the 13th will never be the same.