Local legends, lore, and true tales access winchesterstar.com gas finder app

########

The Rhinehart tire reuse and disposal facility sold tires for retreading and for uses like bumpers for ship docks, floor mats, and even shoe soles. However, around 7 million tires were in too poor condition for resale and had grown into a pile 80 feet high over 5 acres. The Rhineharts had planned to melt down these unusable tires for crude oil and scrap metal. Unfortunately, an arsonist got to it first.

On a cold, dark February night in 1942, unbeknownst to most locals, millions of dollars in artwork were delivered to Handley High School. Forty-eight paintings by masters like Edgar Degas and Rembrandt, three gothic tapestries, and a Persian rug from the Corcoran Gallery in Washington, D.C. were hidden inside a secret vault in the school during WWII. Armed guards m gastrocnemius medialis were placed on 24-hour surveillance. No one knew at the time exactly what they were guarding but knew it must be something significant. But why?

After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the country was preparing for war. At the time, the director of the Corcoran Gallery of Art C. Powell Minnigerode, needed to put a plan into action to protect “objects… of irreplaceable character,” in case of an evacuation or attack on D.C. Seventy miles from D.C., Handley High School was chosen due to a room in the basement with “walls and roof [of] solid concrete” that “might be considered as strong as a vault.” The Corcoran Gallery paid for upgrades to the existing vault, which included a brick floor, electricity, an alarm system and phone. The artwork — which included Degas’ ballerinas and Gilbert Stuart’s iconic painting of George Washington — stayed at Handley until the war ended in 1944.

One electricity generation capacity can only wonder what Huron Lawson and his wife Franceska Kaspar Lawson might say about their magnificent Clarke County summer home today. Since the 1980s, Bears Den, located on the mountain off of Va. 7 in Bluemont, has been an upscale hostel for Appalachian Trail hikers who appreciate its many amenities — bunk beds and showers with fresh linens and towels, a laundry and store — only 150 yards from the trail. The rock outcropping at Bears Den also offers visitors a breathtaking westward view of the Shenandoah Valley and Allegheny Mountains in West Virginia.

Bears Den was built in 1933 as a gift from a husband to his wife. Dr. Lawson, a professor in obstetrics and gynecology at The George Washington University, built the home for Franceska, a professional operatic soprano. The Lawsons, who had traveled to Europe, modeled their stone mansion after a Medieval castle, and the curved living room, which served as Franceska’s recital room, was specifically designed for ideal acoustics.

The Lawsons lived in Washington, D.C. Like many of the capital’s elite in the era before air conditioning electricity facts history, they wanted to get away from the city’s oppressive heat and humidity. Trains between Washington and the mountains made such summer holidays possible. Bears Den is one of many summer houses built along the Blue Ridge Mountains for wealthy Washingtonians between 1880 and 1940.

In the 1980s, much of the Appalachian Trail was situated on private lands. In northern Virginia, the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the National Park Service were working to move the trail off roads and private lands and into the woods. Bears Den, which was surrounded by hundreds of acres of undeveloped property, was perfect for relocating the AT.

The Empire originally began its life in 1907 as an amuseument center with a skating rink and bowling alley, which occasionally would show films. That building burned down in 1912, and was rebuilt the following year as the Empire Theatre. In 1927, the Empire was sold to Warner Bros., remodeled, and reopened in Dec. 6, 1928, as the Capitol Theatre — a name selected from 400 contest entries. The new theater could seat 966 people and electricity and magnetism worksheets was considered a Warner Bros. Class A theater. It closed November 1964 due to declining business, and was demolished in 1966, to make room for the then-FM Bank (now BBT) which still stands in that location on the corner of North Cameron Street and Rouss Avenue.

The Colonial Theatre opened on Christmas Day in 1923 with the film “Main Street,” utilizing space within the Taylor Hotel (1847) which had been hotel rooms. The theater was located on the second and third floors of the building, with a balcony and orchestra pit, and boasted a seating capacity of 1,000. The theater closed in 1939, and was never used again. McCrory’s, a five and dime retailer, occupied part of the hotel from 1918 to 1993. During an October 2007 grade 6 electricity unit test rainstorm, the theater’s roof collapsed. Deemed structurally unsafe, the City of Winchester had the theater portion of the building torn down. The pavilion of the Taylor Hotel now occupies that space, and the theater’s flytower is now The Chef’s Market on Indian Alley.

Clarke County Historical Association archivist Mary Thomason-Morris said the mountaintop location was used by Union soldiers to send semaphore messages all the way to Manassas. “There wasn’t any pollution, and there wasn’t a whole lot in between,” she said, explaining how Civil War soldiers could use mirrors to telegraph information from the mountain.

Instead, Mount Weather was transferred to the U.S. Bureau of Mines in 1936, and an experimental tunnel was dug into the mountain 100 yards below the surface. During World War II, Mount Weather was used as a Civilian Public Service facility, and the narrow, quarter-mile tunnel became the basis of a massive underground bunker completed in 1958 by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Since then, the Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center — with its massive underground complex of offices, living quarters, hospital and recreation areas — is where top ranking government, civilian and military officials are to go if an emergency evacuation is required in Washington. Senior members of the federal government were evacuated to Mount Weather following the 9/11 terrorist attacks

Flight 514 had been redirected from Washington National Airport (now Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport) to Dulles International Airport because of bad weather. The Boeing 727 jetliner should have been at 3,400 feet to clear the mountain, but the pilots thought they were told to descend, according to the National Transportation Safety Board. The plane approached the 1,754-foot top of the Blue Ridge at an altitude of about 1,650 feet. Fog, rain and sleet hid the mountain from gas in oil tank the pilots’ view.