New faq page — building — town of norfolk ideal gas questions


A Building Permit is required whenever a project includes construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, removal or demolition of a structure. Also, a permit is required for any change of use of a building or structure, and/or the installation or alteration of any equipment that is regulated by the State gas vs electric oven temperature Building Code. Should you have any questions about your project, and if it requires a permit, please call the Building Department at 508-528-5088.

Building Permits are issued to construction supervisors licensed by the Board of Building Regulation and Standards. An exception to this requirement is that a building permit can be issued to homeowners doing work to the single or two family dwelling where the homeowner resides or intends to reside. Homeowners who receive building permits under this exception may be liable for contracting work on their property and are not eligible for protection under the provisions of the Home Improvement Contractor Law (c. 142 A section 1).

By law, the Building Department has 30 days from the date it was completed and submitted to review your permit application (780 CMR section 111.1). However, permits are usually issued within two to four weeks for larger residential and commercial work. Generally speaking, it will take less time for smaller scope of work projects. The time it takes is often dependent on the scope of work and completeness and accuracy of the application. Be sure to check the Required Submittal Documents List for your project, and include all the necessary information with your application.

Any building permit issued shall be deemed abandoned and invalid unless the work authorized by it shall have commenced within six months after issuance or determined by the Building Commisioner. An expiration date is listed on your Permit Card. If you feel your project will surpass the expiration date, you do have the ability to extend the permit. Contact the Building Department for more information.

Yes. For your convenience, the Town offers an Online Permitting Portal, where you have the ability to apply for Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Gas, and Mechanical Permits. You can log in and create a new user registration, and once it is completed, you can apply for permits, review your account, pay gas tracker balances, and check the status of your application or permit.

All decks require a building permit (see permit procedures). All attached decks must be on footings at least 4’ below grade. Decks over 30 from grade level require guard rails at a minimum height of 36”and spacing of balusters to less than 4”. Stairs with four risers or more require handrails with spacing of less than 4” between balusters and the height of 30”-38” for railings against a wall and 34”-38” for railings not against a wall. Zoning requires that all decks be at least 25 ft. from the side and rear lot line and 50 ft. from the front lot line.

When any provision under 780 CMR 271 is performed. All new HVAC systems needs a Manual J for permitting. Any HVAC system that any duct or the air handler is outside of condition space will need a air leakage test for final inspection. Our gas stoichiometry problems Required Submittal Document List will detail the specific documents we require for each respective mehcanical permit type.

When you apply for your Building Permit, you will find an optional button to upload a Signed Contract. While this is not always required, the Inspector may ask for a copy as part of your application. If you have a contract as part of the job, it is best to simply upload it, so that we do not have to send a follow up request for it. The more information you provide with us up front, the better off your application process will be.

If the Fire Department determines tha new fire detection is required, than Yes, the Fire Department will issue a separate permit for residential smoke detectors. A Fire Prevention Inspector from Norfolk Fire Department will visit the site once the job is nearly completed, to check the location of the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. The inspector will perform a final inspection after the detectors have been installed. Contact the Fire Department to schedule this inspection. Additional Fees may be required.

It is advised that your builder reach out to the Norfolk Building Department to discuss your project with the Local Inspector. We also have Building Resources (Link) available to you/your builder, to assist in understanding what the Building Department, along with Building Code requires for each scope of work. Additionally, Zoning is unique to every community in the commonwealth. Your contractor and/or architect should review the Zoning By-Law in order to ensure that your proposed project will comply with local zoning. Click her to review our local Norfolk Zoning By-Laws

A Home Improvement Contractor (“HIC”) is defined as any person who owns or operates a contracting business who, through himself or others, undertakes, purports to have the capacity to undertake, offers to undertake, or submits a bid for residential contracting work to an owner, as such work is defined in 780 CMR R6 and Massachusetts General Law chapter 142A (which are the rules and regulations pertaining to the program). All HICs must be registered with OCABR.

A CSL is required for any work that involves a building’s structural elements and the holder had to have passed an examination which demonstrates knowledge of the building code. A holder of an HIC registration is not required to pass an examination. The holder is registered with the state and must pay a fee which is deposited in to the Guaranty types of electricity consumers Fund at the Office of Consumer Affairs. These serve as protections for consumers in the event of a dispute between a homeowner and an HIC.

A Home Improvement Contractor may enter in to contracts with homeowners, however if he/she does not hold a valid CSL, he/she must hire an active Construction Supervisor Licensee to supervise the project. It is the responsibility of both the Home Improvement Contractor and the Construction Supervisor’s Licensee to obtain all building permits prior to beginning the project.

No. An HIC is not required for new construction. The Construction Supervisor Licensee however must apply for all required building permits and architect plans for review by the local inspector. When the local inspector is satisfied that the project meets the requirements of theBuilding Code/BBRS the building department of your local city/town will issue your building permit. The permit must be placed on site.

While you may certainly obtain your own permits, be aware that if you do, you will fall into a homeowner exemption that will disqualify electricity omd you from being eligible to receive recourse through M.G.L c. 142A, the HIC Law, or the statutorily authorized Guaranty Fund, should a problem arise. It is the responsibility of the registered HIC to obtain all permits necessary for work covered by the Home Improvement Contractor Registration Law, M.G.L. c. 142A. If the HIC you are contracting with refuses, you may wish to reconsider using that contractor’s services.

If you choose to perform building construction work on your own home, or if you choose to hire unlicensed, unregistered persons, you must secure your own building permit under what is called the homeowner exemption. In doing so, you assume all responsibility for the project (i.e. ensuring the end product conforms with all pertinent codes, laws and ordinances) and you forfeit any and all rights under the Home Improvement Registration program.

Most construction projects will require both a licensed and registered contractor. A contractor possessing only a home improvement registration may perform only small projects that would typically be considered ordinary repairs to a property (such as painting, wallpapering, repairing existing decking and similar jobs). Larger projects, such as building a deck or an addition to an existing home or any project that includes structural work (to an existing single to four family, owner occupied home) would require both a license and registration. However, the license and registration may not necessarily be possessed by the same person. AAA For example, a registered contractor could subcontract larger projects to another individual and\or company as long as that individual or company possesses both a license and registration to perform the work.

The important thing to remember is that most construction work performed on your single power outage houston report to four family, owner occupied home will require the services of a licensed and registered contractor and that the registered contractor is required to secure the permit for such work, clearly listing the subcontractor if he/she is to act a s the supervisor of construction (in possession of the construction supervisor license). Homeowners who secure permits for such work under the homeowner exemption clause may forfeit all protective rights identified by M.G.L, c. 142 A (The Rules and Regulations for Home Improvement Contractors).

No fence or other STRUCTURE enclosing animals, except house pets, shall be within 100 feet of a DWELLING on an adjoining property. ( Zoning Bylaw F.5.b ). Your structure may require a Building, Electrical, Gas, Plumbing and/or Mechanical permit, depending on the scope of work. For example, if the enclosure is beyond 200sqft it will require a building permit, and if you plan to have electricity to the building, this requires an Electrical Permit (all all electrical work to be performed by a licensed Electrician).