Outdoor decor is always evolving save electricity images for drawing

"That is how they got into the patio furniture business," their son and current owner, Dan Mayer, recalled. "He continued to make wrought iron rails, etc., but gradually got into the fireplace business to supplement the patio furniture business."

In the 1960s, the Mayers added a large selection of grills to their inventory in order to capitalize on the outdoor grilling craze. Before long, they employed crews to run gas lines to outdoor gas grills and installing gas fireplaces for homeowners.

Today things have progressed to the point that outdoor kitchens, complete with a refrigerator, warming drawers, cabinets and counter space, are becoming popular in the Midwest. No longer content to simply grill outside, many homeowners are choosing to fully prepare their meals outside.

In addition, traditional grills are being supplemented by ceramic smokers and cookers that slow cook items like roasts and chickens year-round. Northwest Metalcraft sells Kamado Joe cookers that burn lump charcoal, as well as pellet grills like those made by the Memphis Grill. It also carries the Smokin’ Brothers line, which burn a variety of wood pellets.

"Some people have so much outdoor space that they can easily have more than one outdoor ‘room’ — with a dining area, a cooking or kitchen area and a separate lounging area, with or without a fire pit, and by doing this, they are adding value to their homes," Mayer said.

"People long to get outside in the fresh air and relax when they aren’t working. So they are trying to take the whole indoor experience outside," Mayer said. "I would estimate that 70 percent of the furniture I sell now is the deep-seating kind. The other 30 percent is for dining."

The development of cushioned, deep-seating patio furniture that is made of an all-weather resin wicker material that is carefully woven over aluminum frames has made it possible to keep this furniture outside, even in our Chicago climate. The thick seating cushions are also fully weatherproof and may be left outside.

"It can be really magical to sit outside, especially around a fire pit or fireplace, and have a great conversation with your friends. And if you invest in torches or the lanterns that use alcohol gel, you can make your yard look like a resort. They really look cool and add to the ambience," he said.

"Many women don’t like the smell of smoke, so they choose to have a fireplace fueled by either propane or natural gas and we put stones, ceramic logs, broken glass or geometric shapes in the fireplace to enhance the look of the fire, just like what we can do for an indoor fireplace. We are even able to run the gas line from the house if the homeowner wants to use natural gas," Mayer said.

Heaters, both electric and propane, which extend the season for patios and decks, are also gaining in popularity. With the flip of a switch or the use of a remote control, you can have great heat coverage over a large area — and very unobtrusively, Mayer said. The electric ones cost much less to operate than the propane heaters, he added, and there are no tanks to refill so they are swiftly supplanting the propane ones in popularity.

People want to spend as much of their precious free time as possible outdoors, so they are choosing to make full use of their outdoor patios, decks and screened porches. When the warm weather finally arrives in the Chicago area, they want be out there every possible moment, Mayer said.