Photo gallery – dunaskin mp electricity bill payment

############

This photograph shows a furnace crew and was taken in 1850. The furnace men were responsible for the production of the iron. electricity examples The boys pictured at the front had the job of making the ‘pig beds’ which the molten iron was poured into. The pig beds were so named as they were said to resemble a sow lying on her side suckling her piglets! There were eight furnaces at Dunaskin, each with a crew this size.

This photograph was taken in 1903 and shows the iron furnaces. Railway lines can be seen leading up to each furnace. These carried out the pig iron and transported it to Ayr harbour where it was shipped to the markets.The trains along the top are carrying the raw ingredients for iron making, mainly iron ore, coal and limestone. To the right of the furnaces can be seen the heating stoves which heated the blast of air needed to smelt iron in the furnace.

This picture was taken in 1954 and shows one of the turbines that drove the power station. The power station was built in 1917, initially to supply power to the gunnery station located 16km south of the site, and then to all of the Doon Valley, running until 1956 when the extensions of the National Grid made it redundant. gas variables pogil packet answers The power station ran on waste coal which was burned to provide the power to run the turbines.

The iron furnaces were where the raw materials were ‘cooked’ to produce the pig iron. There were initially five furnaces at the beginning of the iron working period, which had expanded to eight in 1870. These were replaced after 1871 by larger capacity furnaces which were capped to trap the waste gases which were then extracted and used to produce secondary by-products, for example coal gas, tar and pitch.

The molten iron was poured into ‘pig beds’, so called as the long lines of furrows were said to resemble a sow feeding her piglets. The pig beds were made of sand and built by the young boys of the furnace crew. The metal was poured in to these and left to cool, after which it was cut into 1 meter lengths and then transported off the site. The Blast Engine

There were two engines housed in the Blowing Engine House at Dunaskin, one dating from 1847 and built by Murdoch and Aitken of Glasgow and the other built in 1865 by the Lillieshall Iron Company of Shropshire. The Blast Engine provided a regulated blast of air to the furnaces, which meant more oxygen present in the furnace, reducing the amount of fuel needed to achieve the necessary temperatures for iron smelting. gas dryer vs electric dryer hookups Both blast engines at Dunaskin worked on the same principles.

The brick making process begins with clay. Clay was mined locally from Dunaskin Glen. This was transported to the site and stored in the now-converted Blowing Engine House, which now housed a clay loft for storage and two brick presses. The Pan Mill was built behind the engine house to process the clay. In the Pan Mill were two large crushing machines which ground down the clay, removing impurities and making it better quality.

Once ground the clay was dropped down a chute, which had been made from one of the old boilers left over from the iron works period, into the clay loft in the Engine House. k electric bill Clay from the loft then dropped down another chute and into the brick presses, which moulded the clay into a brick shape. The bricks were then stamped to show where they came from. The earlier bricks are all stamped DICo, which stood for Dalmellington Iron Company, whilst those produced later are stamped Dalmellington.

Once shaped the uncooked clay bricks were taken to the kiln for firing. There were two kilns at Dunaskin, on built in 1928 and the other in 1935 as the brickworks expanded. The kilns operated continuously and each kiln could hold approximately 1/4 of a million bricks. The firing process took two weeks and temperature, which was at least 1000 oC, was controlled in the kilns by a system of flues which allowed air to circulate throughout. Once the firing process was complete the bricks were taken out of The Kilns and allowed to cool and fully harden before being shipped out top their prospective markets.

The Staffordshire kiln was built by Dean, Hetherington & Co. of Accrington in 1928. It is called a Staffordshire Kiln as it is of a type popular in that county. The kiln is composed of 14 chambers, 7 on each side. 16,000 bricks were stacked in each chamber. Heat was fed into the chambers from an underfloor heating system, which saw the interior of the kiln reach temperatures of between 1100 – 1200 oC. The bricks remained in the chamber for 2 weeks to bake fully, after which time they were taken out and allowed to cool gradually. The kiln operated continuously and was used up until the brickworks closed in 1978.

The Hoffmann Kiln was built in 1935 by William Cleghorn of Newmains. electricity word search answer key This kiln consists of one long continuous chamber, divided into 24 sub -chambers by temporary walls made of wet paper. Each chamber could hold 14,000 bricks and temperatures of 1000 – 1100 oC were achieved. Each chamber opening was bricked up once firing commenced, and the firing process was again 2 weeks.