Remembering woodside dolores degnan’s memories of eight decades in the town she loved news almanac online electricity and magnetism purcell


Bill Wilke, a native of Germany who arrived in the U.S. on his own as a teenager, came to Woodside as the caretaker and manager of the estate of Stanley G. Harris, whose family owned the Harris Trust and Savings Bank in Chicago. The 36-acre Mountain Home Road estate, purchased by the family in 1922, had a 6,000-square-foot main house built in 1885 and remodeled in 1917. The property also had a children’s playhouse, an eight-stall barn, greenhouses, a tool house, a seven-car garage with a two-story, five-bedroom electricity shock in the body house attached, a four-bedroom single-story house, two other cottages, two smaller garages, and three wells.

The Wilkes originally lived in the only structure that remains from the Harris era, a guest house/amateur radio tower that resembled a lighthouse. My mother hated living in it because it was an impractical house, Degnan said, so the family soon gas bijoux nolita moved into a much larger house built for them elsewhere on the estate. The lighthouse still stands, now part of the much larger main house on the property.

Other families who owned large estates in Woodside at the time were the L.W. Harrises, the Fleishhackers, the Folgers, the Floods, the Josselyns, the Schillings, the Roths and the Jacklings. Some lived there full time, but most spent their summers, weekends and holidays in Woodside, and socialized and celebrated important family events there.

The middle child, a son, was her age. Soon another boy their age moved into a different home on the property, and the three roamed the estate together. This was during World War II, and gas in back once, Degnan remembered, the playmates ripped an old sheet into bandages, dabbing them with smashed-berry blood. Their battlefield included the estate’s numerous stone walls, crafted from sandstone left over from the construction of Stanford University. We’d run up and down those walls and shoot each other, Degnan said.

Much of Woodside life revolved around horses, and Degnan said she began riding her neighbor’s horses when she was only a toddler. She joined the Junior Rider program, a summer riding program for children that still exists in Woodside. Her instructor at Junior Riders for all but the first year was Milo Miloradovitch, a Russian who was originally brought to Woodside by Harris to teach his children how to ride. Miloradovitch lived in a groom’s cottage on the Harris property with his wife and son. Milo had a great sense of humor, teased us a lot, although he was exacting, Degnan said.

She electricity prices by state and her Junior Rider friends rode everywhere. At the Little Store, now a restaurant, we’d buy boxes of cinnamon sticks and pretend electricity nightcore lyrics they were cigarettes, she said. She remembered riding double with friend Mary Jo (Blankenship) Taylor, who still lives in the Woodside Glens where she grew up, to the hardware store where they bought a huge watermelon. I don’t know how we got back on the horse, she said.

Degnan said her walk home was lonely. Nobody ever drove by, and if they did, I’d know them, and they’d give me a ride, she said. She also sometimes entertained herself by walking in the roadside ditch, to the consternation of her mother and the detriment of her shoes. I walked all the way home as far as I could in that ditch, she said. I knew I’d get in trouble because my feet were all wet.

Woodside residents socialized around the school, church and firehouse, Degnan said. Each summer they gathered for a picnic electricity lesson plans 8th grade in the Victorian house next door to the school, now owned by the family of Judy Rice, a descendant of the home’s original builders. They’d roll out the oriental carpets and bring out the wicker furniture from two cabins at the rear, Degnan said. It was really fun.

Jim Degnan, who married Dolores in 1961, said that the couple often came face-to-face with celebrities. Once, he said, they settled down to watch a horse show at the Play Pen, and Dolores introduced herself to the woman next to her. She turned to Dolores and r gas constant chemistry said, ‘I’m Rosemary Clooney,’ Jim Degnan said. Clooney told them she was there watching her husband, Jose Ferrer, ride.

It was 1961, Jim Degnan said, when he and Dolores went to the premiere of Breakfast at Tiffany’s at the Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto, only to encounter star Audrey Hepburn after the show. We’re walking out, and this lady is just walking out, and we said hi, he said. Hepburn was lovely and friendly, he said. No one else around, just the three of us having this conversation, he said.