School buildings – school finance gas density conversion


Chapter 208 of the Acts of 2004 established the Massachusetts School Building Authority. The authority is responsible for the Commonwealth’s school building assistance (SBA) program. All requests and inquiries regarding building assistance should be directed to the MSBA.

The Qualified Zone Academy Bond (QZAB) program, which a number of schools and districts have used to obtain low-cost capital financing for facility improvements, was eliminated by the federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. As a result, the Department will no longer accept applications for QZAB credits.

• The US Department of Education’s Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) provides a number of free resources, including an app (SiteAssess) that you can download to your mobile device and use as you assess the safety, security, accessibility, and emergency preparedness of your school’s buildings and grounds.

• The Center for Disease Control (CDC) provides a checklist for Crime Prevention through Environmental Design, an approach that encourages strategic use of the environment, lighting, building design, and other factors to improve visibility and safety.

Launched by the U.S. Department of Education (USED) in 2011, the Green Ribbon Schools recognition honors schools that are exemplary in reducing environmental impact and costs, improving the health and wellness of students and staff, and delivering effective environmental and sustainability education that incorporates Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), civic skills, and green career pathways.

Mass Energy Insight is a robust, easy-to-use, energy information tool developed by the Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources. It is available at no cost to municipalities and school districts. The tool sorts information from utility companies into a database that will benchmark the consumption of electricity, natural gas, and heating oil in public facilities revealing energy use, costs, and greenhouse gas emissions.

The Healthy Schools Council (HSC) was established in 2001, and was tasked with identifying a list of the most important issues for schools to address in terms of environmental health and safety. This document contains information and resources to assist Massachusetts’ school systems in identifying and remedying indoor environment health and safety problems.

This Guide was prepared by members of the National Forum on Education Statistics to help school facilities managers plan for efficient and effective operations. The Planning Guide has been developed to help readers better understand why and how to develop, implement, and evaluate a facilities maintenance plan. It provides practical advice on a range of topics; including how to do facilities audits, building inventories and maintenance planning and how to manage staff and contractors and evaluate maintenance efforts.

With the approval of the school committee and the Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education, a city or town may rent or lease surplus space in a school building in actual use, provided that such joint occupancy does not interfere with educational programs being conducted in said building.

The school committee may conduct educational and recreational activities in or upon school property under its control or shall allow the use thereof by individuals and associations for such activities as it deems for the interest of the community.

In any city or town which accepts this section, all moneys received by the school committee in connection with the use of school property under section seventy-one, shall be deposited with the treasurer of the town or city and held as separate accounts. The receipts held in such a separate account may be expended by said school committee without further appropriation for expenses incurred in making school property available for such use, notwithstanding the provisions of section fifty-three of chapter forty-four of the General Laws.