State finds contractor ineligible to run youth lockups, will award contract to rival instead arkansas blog electricity how it works

#################

Armstrong’s letter was addressed to Youth 9gag Opportunity Investments, an Indiana-based firm that was the only other bidder for the Arkansas lockup contract. After Rite of Passage was awarded the contract at the end of February, Youth Opportunity Investments objected. In a protest filed with the state procurement office on March 12, the company claimed its rival was ineligible for multiple reasons, including the Durango facility contract termination. (Rite of Passage responded to the gas ks protest on March 20.)

An Aug. 23, 2018 story from the Durango Herald details the abrupt closure of the Robert E. DeNier Youth Services Center in Durango by the Colorado Department of Human Services. The newspaper reported that the state accused the facility of consistently failing to maintain standards, making misleading or false statements or reports [and] failing to provide safe conditions for children. A suspension order from the Colorado agency described two cases of employees at the DeNier facility using excessive force to detain youths.

Mike Cantrell, the executive director of Rite of Passage, disputed Arkansas’s conclusion in a statement on Thursday. We strongly and respectfully disagree with the Office of State Procurement. The scoring process of the bid was fair and we won this contract based on the merits of our proposal, won every category, and provided static electricity in the body the state with the lowest bid, he said.

The Arkansas contract is to operate five lockups in Dermott, Harrisburg, Mansfield and Lewisville. (The Mansfield site consists of two facilities, one gas emoji for boys and one for girls.) Since 2016, Rite of Passage has run a sixth lockup, the Arkansas Juvenile Assessment and Treatment Center located near Alexander. That facility, the state’s largest, operates under its own contract separate from the smaller facilities.

When Rite of Passage began running AJATC, it took over from a series of previous contractors that had faced criticism over incidents of misconduct, abuse and neglect. But as the Arkansas Nonprofit News Network and other media have previously reported, problems continued after Rite of Passage assumed q gastrobar dias ferreira control, including instances of physical abuse and frequent use of solitary confinement.

When asked whether the Office of State Procurement should have uncovered the Durango contract termination before it awarded the contract to Rite of Passage, Hardin said no. The state’s procurement team performed due diligence on the companies that submitted bids. However, the information that was raised in the protest was electricity sound effect uncovered through a Freedom of Information Act request in another state. This information was not immediately available in the research conducted by procurement, he wrote in an email.

Since Jan. 1, 2017, all of Arkansas’s lockups except AJATC have been under the electricity experiments elementary school direct management of the Department of Human Services’ Division of Youth Services. Before that, they were run for decades by two Arkansas-based nonprofits, South Arkansas Youth Services and Consolidated Youth Services. In 2016, the state gave the contract for the facilities to Youth Opportunity Investments. SAYS and CYS raised objections, and sympathetic legislators blocked the new contract in December of that year, which meant the state was headed into 2017 with no one to run the facilities at all. (AJATC continued to be operated by Rite of Passage.)

Governor Hutchinson then directed the state to take over the facilities, and they have remained in the hands of DHS ever since. At times, the agency has seemingly tropico 5 power plant struggled to run the lockups; families and advocates have complained of unsafe and unsanitary conditions at some locations. The governor said in November the state would re-privatize the lockups by summer 2019.