Tilty’s 07 cbr600rr – page 2 – 600rr.net gas city indiana newspaper

The course was held over 3 days. I arrived at the track the day before the course started in order to have time to set up my bike and gear in the pit box. I was also able to complete my check-in and collect my transponder before the evening was over.

Most part of the first day was spent in the class room with lectures and a written "exam". Prior to arriving at the track I also had to complete an online e-learning course. The the end of the day we actually got two full sessions at the track following the instructor. The pace was quite low for us to learn the track and to focus on the barke markers and turn-in points. After a whole day in the class room listening to the bikes blast past I was eager to finally get on my bike!

The next day started off with a normal morning briefing. We had the two following sessions with the instructor, albeit the pace was upped quite a bit. Just before lunch we had a double session were the first was run a normal session and the following was to practice the starting procedure. We started from the pits and then lined up on the grid. We than did a warm-up lap before lining up on the grid for the start. Once the red light went out we did a fast lap before returning to the pits for a quick debrief. We did the starting procedure two more times. The last time was a mini race for the reminder to the session. We missed two sessions on the afternoon due to rain, but I was quite exhausted so it was not that bad. The day had been totally awesome!

The last day was just about riding and working on the lines and hitting the brake markers rather than setting an lap time. However as day day progressed I felt more and more comfortable on the bike and I was quite suprised to see how much the lap time went down compared to the day before.

The only scare I had was when I was behind a R6. I could not make a pass on the straights as the R6 was slightly pulling away from me (I was probably the only one running a stock street bike) and I was being cautious to pass in the turns. I noticed I could make up the lost ground on the brakes and I was carrying more corner speed so I decided to run a different line through the s-chicane to get into his slipstream and pass him on the brakes into the long 180-degree turn. When popping out of his slip stream to make the pass on the brakes I noticed there was another rider just in front of the R6. With me carrying more speed than before going into the turn I realised I had pass both of the riders, and to make things more exciting the rear stepped out on the downshifts. The kitty litter (sand trap in the run-out) was approaching at an alarming rate but I managed to make a clean pass on both riders and even hit the apex This was actually the lap I set my personal best over the 3 days riding.

There was no issues with the bike over the 3 days, but the Healtech Quickshifter had a couple of hick-ups. In a couple of places I would get small engine cuts due to bumbs in the track. As it worked for most of the time I didn’t want to tinker too much with it as I didnt want to miss out on any sessions. I will re-check the settings as the sensor is clearly too sensitive and also I suspect that the freeplay in the stock gear shift lever is to blame, but I am planning to change this out during the winter.

The Wilbers shock was awesome and this was also the first time running the 180/60 profile on the rear. Even though Arctic Circle Raceway is very abrasive the tyre wear was even for the duration of the course. I ran 31 psi cold in the front and 25 psi cold at the rear.

I picked up my bike from my tuner this past weekend and I am now doing the final servicing before my first track days of 2018. In addition to custom mapping of the ECU, the bike also had the valve clearances checked and it the Woolich Racing race tool package installed. This comprises of a new quickshifter which plug in to the OEM loom via the exhaust valve connector, a pit lane limiter and launch control. The pitlane limiter is now beeing operated from the turn signal switch and the launch control is activated via the clutch switch (meaning that it is activated when the clutch is held for more than 2 seconds).

I am very happy with the result and specially considered the amount of effort and money put in to the tuning and performance parts. I was quite spurised when my tuner told me the bike initially ran too rich over most of the rev range. I was expecting quite the opposite, especially since the cat was removed. That might also explain why bike on the base run had quite high power output (110 rwhp). The torque is quite good as well and the throttle response and midrange is vastly improved.

So I did two trackdays at Rudskogen Motorsenter, Norway in the middle of May. It was my first time at this track and I must say that I liked the track layout very much. It is not quite as flowing as Arctic Circle Raceway, but rather technical. The first part of the track consists of a chicane leading into a long right-hander which again leads into a back straight and the scary downhill braking into T3 and T4. From T5 until T14 the track is rather technical but this was my favorite part.

The first day started out with heavy fog and a wet track following the rain and thunder the night before. As always the day started with the morning briefing and technical control of all the bikes, including noise test. My bike was measured to 98dB without the dB-killer. The noise limit was 102dB.

I had fitted my rain tyres in the morning but the track was drying quite fast. However it was still damp by the time I hit the track but there was a dry line emerging. The session was red flagged after 5 laps and my rear rain tyre was already showing some tearing, thus I decided to remain in the pits to change over to my dry weather tyres. I had ordered a set of new set of Michelin Power Cup Evo’s but they didn’t arrive in time, and since there were plenty of meat left in my Supercorsa SP’s I decided to run them dispite they are road bias.

The bike was awesome and the new quick shifter was spot on! It was also fun playing with the pit lane limiter and the launch control During the last session of the day I got to mix it up with two other riders, swapping positions and overtaking each other all the time and having a great time!

The second day also started out with heavy fog and a damp track, but the sun broke through and dried up the track before we got on with the riding. During my first session I made a mistake running into T7 too fast (T7 and T8 is taken as a double apex turn) and drifted out of the ideal line. However, I did manage to drag my elbow in this turn the day before so I thought I was nowhere near the limit so I tried to pull the line tight to hit the late apex on the exit, but I guess I asked too much from my front tyre which let go. The lowside was very undramatic and bike had only minor fairing damage on the left side.

I rode for a couple of more sessions before disaster struck. I was catching two riders going into T7 and it was obvious that the second rider was lining up to pass the first rider. I expected him to make the pass on the brakes into T10 so I followed behind. However, on the exit from T8 the first riders bike stalled (he had issues with the bike the whole day). The second rider was not expecting this and almost clipped the back of the first rider and in panic pulled his front brake which made him crash in front of me. I managed to avoid the guy but his bike hit my front wheel and I went down. Luckily we were both ok but my bike looked rather second hand (as did my leather suit). As this was towards the end of the day I decided to pack up my gear and head home.