What are the health risks of mdf (with pictures) power outage houston reliant

#

Medium density fiberboard (MDF) is a manufactured wood product used in a variety of industries. The manufacturing process includes some chemicals that may be hazardous to humans, leading to concerns about the health risks of MDF. There are two primary concerns: exposure to the chemicals used to make it and wood dust. By being aware of the potential risks, people can protect themselves when they work with it.

To make MDF, a company shreds wood, softens it, and turns it into a fine powder. The powder is combined with resins and other bonding agents and compacted into solid boards. A number of different woods can be used to make MDF, and the material is also sometimes treated to be fire, water, or stain resistant. Many lumberyards sell varying types and widths for an assortment of uses.

Toxic chemicals are one of the major health risks of MDF. The chemical of most concern is formaldehyde, which can aggravate asthma and other lung conditions, irritate mucous membranes, and cause contact dermatitis. Studies on this chemical also suggest that it is a likely carcinogen, and it should be generally avoided. During the manufacturing process, personnel should protect themselves with respirators and adequate clothing. When cutting or working with MDF, nose, mouth, and eye protection should be worn. Finished products may also offgas, raising concerns about its use in the home. Fiberboard should never be burned, except in adequately ventilated facilities.

back into the chain via this route such as asbestos, c/silica, lead arsenic, CCA, preservatives, pesticides, fire retardants and many more too – all of which cause ill health problems when inhaled. This is then emitted in the fine dust that is produced from working with the board, especially for wood machinists whose machinery produce copious amounts of very fine dust.

Most wood workers are still not provided with the correct PPE and although wood dust per se is a classified carcinogen on the same level as asbestos, the wearing of masks is still not compulsory and those flimsy DIY masks will not protect anyone.

These boards already contain many chemicals and substances harmful to health. Besides, the use of old waste wood and natural wood contains crystalline silica, another group1 carcinogen. This is often added as filler, glues, binders, resins and so on and also to outer protective coatings to make them scratch resistant and so more horrors added to the wood dust mix. Even water based pesticides (solvent ones are said to cause harm, but they all do) to make up for the lack of solvents add to them crystalline silica because it’s known to scratch the hard cuticle like outer shell, the exo-skeleton of the pest, and so this speeds up the ingestion of the poison. If it does this to pests, then what do they think it does the lungs of woodworkers when they inhale it as a breathable dust?

Wood contains c/silica naturally in varying amounts depending on the type of wood, some more than others. The wood industry has had a long standing problem with the premature blunting of the metal industrial strength diamond and tungsten carbide tipped saw blades, which is proven to be caused by the high c/silica content of the wood/board. If it blunts these heavy duty immensely strong saw blades what they think it is doing to the lungs of those inhaling the dust from it? C/silica is also a group 1 carcinogen and when they banned asbestos they more than likely replaced it with c/silica because many of its properties are so like asbestos. It is well documented that freshly fractured c/silica is more toxic than aged c/silica, because it’s sharper. It scratches the vulnerable tissues of the lung and the finer particles can pass through the lungs and into the blood stream meaning that they can cause harm to any part of the body not just the nose and lungs.

Wood dust and silica have both been associated with causing many different types of cancers, respiratory diseases, skin diseases, autoimmune diseases and so on. All of these contaminants will be taken home on work clothes, hair and skin to expose loved ones (children are more vulnerable to these exposures as they’re immune systems are still forming for some years) and to contaminate homes. Partners/wives should never wash work clothes, as they too could become ill.

feeling all day. It also seems to affect my whole system, with bowel movements becoming weirdly different, and really bad wheezing asthma-like symptoms. It all eases off after a couple of days of exposure, and I return to normal after one week.

Now I cannot even go into the same workshop and breathe for even one second, or it happens all over again. I’ve been to the doctor, and on to the consultant, who on my initial consultation, stated “stop working with it “. At the time I felt he was being very harsh, and should be trying to find a solution for me because it is my livelihood. After all, if something in a hospital troubled him, and his doctor said the same, well, you know what I mean.

After loads of tests and inhalers, etc., he has now said there is nothing he can do. I am suffering from extreme chemical sensitivity. But you know what? His first advice was the best: stay away from the stuff. I moved on to a different career, but still have to be very careful.

Anyway, I have now rented out these premises, and never go inside them. If I am in a home store, and near where the MDF is stored, I’m off again. So everyone out there beware of this stuff. The older nurse treating me said that in another 10 years or so, MDF related problems are going to be huge, as she is now seeing more and more people coming in with problems relating to working with it.